There are times in life when we all could use someone to talk to. Have you ever had one of those moments? Perhaps you have an important decision to make, or maybe things are not going very well at home or in a relationship. Most of us hesitate to reach out to friends and family. They are too busy, or they don’t have the sensitivity or confidentiality we are looking for. They also probably don’t have the professional skills to counsel us.
Therapy and counseling can offer you a safe, confidential place to talk about your life and anything that may be confusing, painful or uncomfortable. A counselor can be like the…
perfect friend – they listen deeply, they don’t judge us, and they ask insightful questions. When we speak to that perfect friend, we feel a big weight lift off of us and feel that everything is going to be better. A good counselor can do this for us, and much more.
What can a counselor do for you?
- Create a safe space away from every thing
- Provide a place to find peace
- Someone to truly listen to you
- Help you find clarity
- Assist you in gaining new insights
- Support you in freely expressing feelings and emotions
- Help you sort things out
- Facilitate the release of old hurts and trauma
- Help you free up your energy
- Support you in learning new skills for coping and to create positive life changes
Good counseling can help us move through a transition more easily, get out of a dark place, break an addiction, renew our relationships, and enliven our lives. Therapy teaches us new skills and frees our self-expression.
How do we find a good counselor that is the right one personally for us? Here are a few tips on what to look for in a counselor or therapist:
- Years of professional experience
- Specifically treats the issues you need help with
- Has testimonials from previous clients that speak to you
- You feel good when you speak to them
- They are accessible, sensitive and warm
- They appear skilled and knowledgeable
- They are positive and confident
- You feel they really want to help you
Is Therapy Right for You?
Are you struggling with something, feel overwhelmed, or feel like a failure? Are you depressed or overly anxious? Consider giving yourself the gift of seeing a therapist or counselor. Whether you have never been to a therapist, or even if you have had a bad experience in the past, consider opening yourself to finding a counselor who is right for you. Don’t keep your life on hold when there are gifted therapists that can help you turn your life around.
For a free 15 min consult to find out if counseling or coaching is right for you, call me at 303-817-1341. I can be seen in-person in Boulder, CO, by phone, or on-line from anywhere in the world.
If you think therapy is not the right choice for you, let’s discuss the possibility of coaching. I am here to help people move their lives forward.
Schedule a Complimentary Consult.